Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content
GOLDEN 1 Center ART PROGRAM
On March 10, 2015 the Sacramento City Council accepted a $1 million donation from Marcy Friedman for commissioned artworks by regional artists for the Golden 1 Center (formerly the Entertainment and Sports Center). Additionally, Council approved the purchase of “Coloring Book #4” by internationally recognized artist Jeff Koons. (Check out our upcoming Remarkable Artists events, Jeff Koons and Sarah Thornton in Conversation and Sacrament Artists Make Public Art at the Golden 1 Center: Gale Hart & Bryan Valenzuela in Conversation with Shelly Willis.)
A nine-member Artist Selection Panel of prominent artists, curators and community leaders met on March 30 and April 15, 2015 to determine sites and the artist selection process for the Golden 1 Center’s regional artwork.
The Arts Commission approved the art plan, which included the sites and selection process, at a special meeting on April 29, 2015. Click here for a PDF of the art plan.
On July 31, 2015 the Artist Selection Panel met to review 136 applications from regional artists. The panel recommended 17 finalists to the Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Commission.
The Arts Commission approved the panel's recommendation for 17 finalists at their meeting on Monday, August 10. The finalists developed and presented proposals to the panel on October 27 and 29, 2015. View the press release, which includes the finalists' biographies. The four artists, or artist teams, selected to refine their concepts were: Bryan Valenzuela, Gale Hart, Bill Fontana and the team JD Beltran and Scott Minneman. In December, both the panel and the Arts Commission approved concepts by Sacramento artist Gale Hart and San Francisco artist Bill Fontana. In February 2016, City Council approved contracts for both artists, and the panel approved the design concept by Sacramento artist Bryan Valenzuela. In March, the City Council approved the contract for Bryan Valenzuela.
Learn more about all three artists and their design concepts:
Bryan Valenzuela (view a video of Bryan's visit to Franz Mayer of Munich, the internationally renowned glass studio where the 400 blown glass spheres for Multitudes Converge will be produced.)
SELECTION PROCESS FOR GOLDEN 1 CENTER ARTWORKS & ARTISTS
Phase 1: Plaza Entrance
The Golden 1 Center Panel, Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Commission (Arts Commission) and the Sacramento City Council approved the direct selection of “Coloring Book #4” by Jeff Koons for installation at the front entrance to the Golden 1 Center.
Phase 2: Interior/Exterior Locations
Artists were selected for Phase 2 of the Golden 1 Center Art Program through an open call to artists. The call to artists was promoted regionally to identify artists from the Counties of Sacramento, El Dorado, Placer, Sutter, Yolo, Amador, Calaveras, San Joaquin, Contra Costa, Solano, Butte, Alameda, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Nevada, Yuba, Napa and Sonoma. The panel reviewed the applications and selected artists for each project site, who then submitted conceptual design proposals to the panel. In accordance with Arts Commission and City policy, the designs were also approved by the Arts Commission and the Sacramento City Council.
GOLDEN 1 CENTER REGIONAL ART SELECTION TIMELINE
- City Council approves money allocation for regional artists
- Art Selection Panel convenes to determine artwork sites and selection process
- Art Plan development
- Public Art in the City lecture event with Shelly Willis, Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Commission
- Arts Commission reviewed and approved the panel's recommendations at a special meeting
- Workshop: Experience Matters: From the Studio to Public Space
- Lecture: Artists Wanted: Responding to a Public Art Call
- Workshop: Portfolio Critique
- Request for Qualifications (RFQ) is released
- Technical assistance workshops: June 3 and June 6
July, August, September
- RFQ deadline - July 6
- Golden 1 Center panel meets to select finalists - July 31
- Finalist proposal development
- Finalist proposals presented
- Panel reviews finalists' proposals, approves concepts by Bill Fontana and Gale Hart
- Arts Commission reviews and approves design proposals by Bill Fontana and Gale Hart
- Council approves contracts with Bill Fontana and Gale Hart
- Arts Commission reviews and approves design proposal by Bryan Valenzuela
- Council approves contract with Bryan Valenzuela
- Artwork installation
- Building construction complete
- Building occupancy
RESOURCES / DOWNLOADS
How to Answer a Public Art Call by Jennifer Lovvorn, Senior Project Manager, Art in Public Places Program, San Francisco Art Commission (PDF file)
From the Studio to Public Space by Regina Almaguer, Public Art Project Management Consultant (PDF file)
ESC Art Plan approved by the ESC panel and Arts Commission
The Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Commission is committed to sharing timely information about the regional art selection process for the Golden 1 Center and other opportunities. For more information about the art selection process, sign up for the Arts Commission's e-newsletter.