Online Public Art Collection
The goal of the Art in Public Places (APP) program is to integrate art and the ideas of artists into the fabric of the City and County. The collection includes permanent and temporary artworks as well as art that is integrated into the design of buildings and landscapes. Some of the artworks are interactive, some static, some made with traditional or non traditional media like paint, wood, steel, glass, and clay or sound, light, video and film. There are artworks in the collection that are functional, like a bench or tree grate, some address a political or social concern. There are works that are monumental and others are meant to be experienced more intimately, and many will simply take you by surprise.
As a whole, the ever-changing APP collection is meant to:
- Contribute to building and sustaining the unique cultural heritage and identity of Sacramento
- Encourage community dialogue and interaction
- Provide unique educational opportunities
- Influence the way we think of others and ourselves
- Inspire, celebrate, and help us remember
- Create a more beautiful built and natural environment
- Encourage economic development and vitality by providing business opportunities and by making Sacramento a better place to live
See the online APP Collection to view artworks that are part of this incredible collection. You may search by name, title, medium, or simply select the Random Images option to browse.
Image: "A Fragment of the Universe" by Joan Moment. Glass tessera mosaic. Located at Sacramento International Airport, 6900 Airport Blvd. Sacramento, CA 95837.